(See a comparison chart to determine which alarm thermometer is right for you.)
People ask us all the time about the DOT, ChefAlarm, Smoke, Smoke X2, Smoke X4, and Signals thermometers. They want to know how the thermometers differ and how they are the same, because they want to purchase the thermometer that is best for them.
If you are trying to decide which of the options you should buy today, here are the facts you need to know so you can make an informed decision.
How They Are The Same
• All are professional tools designed for commercial use.
• All are all leave-in thermometers meant to be used with low-and-slow, moderate heat cooks rather than in high-heat, situations (such as direct-heat grilling or broiling) in place of instant-read thermometers.
• All are °C/°F switchable.
How They Are Different
Channels and Probes Included with Each Device
• DOT is a single-channel device and comes with one Pro-Series High Temp 4.5-inch Straight Penetration Probe.
Features and Functionality
• DOT is the simplest to use of the three thermometers. Just set DOT’s alarm with the arrow keys, put the probe in the food, and when the temperature is reached, DOT’s alarm goes off. Hit any of its keys and it will stop alarming. It is splash-proof to IP65 (excluding probe connector).
• ChefAlarm includes a timer, adjustable high and low alarms, CAL, and always-on Min & Max temperatures, making it the perfect thermometer to use when you need to know when your food goes below or above the temperature range you set. The Mix & Max feature allows you to see the lowest and highest temperatures your food reached during the cooking process. It is splash-proof to IP65 (excluding probe connector).
• Smoke includes adjustable high and low alarms, always-on Min & Max temperatures, CAL, and remote tracking capabilities. Not only does Smoke include all of the features ChefAlarm has, it also lets you monitor your cook remotely by sending radio frequency waves (RF) to its Receiver (up to 300 feet line-of-sight away). For example, if you are smoking a brisket in your backyard, you can take Smoke’s Receiver into the house and when the temperatures you have set are reached, the Receiver will alert you that it is time to check your cook. If you also purchase the Smoke Gateway Wi-Fi enabled add-on, you can track your cook anywhere you go with your smart device. It is splash-proof to IP65 (excluding probe connector). Smoke is not compatible with Billows BBQ Temperature Control Fan.
• Smoke X2 and Smoke X4 include adjustable high and low alarms, always-on Min & Max temperatures, CAL, and remote tracking capabilities using a new, stronger radio frequency (RF) to its Receiver up to 1.24 line-of-sight miles away. The RF signal is so strong that we guarantee that your Smoke X’s Receiver will not lose its connection to the base unit, no matter where you take the Receiver in your home or yard. An additional important of choosing a Smoke X thermometer is that it is compatible with the Billows BBQ Temperature Control Fan.
• Signals includes adjustable high and low alarms, always-on Min & Max temperatures, CAL, and remote tracking and graphing capabilities on your phone or tablet via Bluetooth and Wi-Fi. You can use Signals without the ThermoWorks app by using the hardware’s buttons. There is two-way communication between Signals’ hardware and the app: Changes made in the ThermoWorks app are reflected on the hardware and changes made on the hardware are reflected in the app. To help easily distinguish probes in the ThermoWorks app, the first four letters of the probe names you set in the app are displayed on the hardware. Signals is waterproof to IP66 which means it is “dust tight” and protected against jets of water (excluding probe connector). Signals is also compatible with the Billows BBQ Temperature Control fan.
• DOT does not include any accessories.
• ChefAlarm includes a zippered case and a pot clip.
• Smoke includes a grate clip.
• Smoke X includes a grate clip and 8 High Temp Silicone Color Probe Rings.
• Signals includes a grate clip, a 12V USB Power Adapter, and 8 High Temp Silicone Color Probe Rings.
This video demonstrates DOT being used to monitor a prime rib as it roasts.
In this video, America’s Test Kitchen talks about why they love ChefAlarm.
This video discusses the features and benefits of Smoke.
This video introduces Smoke Gateway and shows why the Wi-Fi enabled add-on to Smoke allows you to track your cook from anywhere.
This video introduces the features and benefits of Signals.
In this video, Cameron Treu, owner of Bam Bam’s BBQ restaurant in Orem, Utah describes how Signals, ThermoWorks’ new Wi-Fi/ Bluetooth thermometer, keeps him connected to his cooks.
Use this Alarm Thermometer Selection chart to determine which ThermoWorks’ thermometer is right for you.
Do you have additional questions?
Please let us know. Our Customer Care team is happy to help.
Phone: Toll Free: 800-393-6434 6am – 8pm M-F, 9am – 4pm Saturday, MT
LiveChat: 8am – 5pm M-F