This setup video that demonstrates how to setup and use Billows with Signals.
To use a Billows fan with Signals, follow the steps below:
Connecting Billows to Signals
Plug the 12-volt AC adapter included with your Signals into a power outlet and connect the power cable into Signals.
In the ThermoWorks BBQ App
Connect your Signals to the ThermoWorks BBQ App. Follow the in-app instructions. (Online instructions can also be found in the online ThermoWorks BBQ app Help File.)
The app will automatically check to see if your Signals needs a firmware update in order to power Billows.
- If update notification appears, complete the firmware update following the in-app instructions. Note: Signals must be plugged in to AC power using a 12 volt power adapter (preferably the one that came with Signals) and connected to your phone or tablet via Bluetooth during the firmware update process. You may find additional firmware update help in the Signals Help File.
- If no firmware update notification appears, your Signals has the latest firmware and you can proceed with the Billows setup process.
- Additional information and help about Signals firm update.
Adding Billows to Your Smoker
Begin by closing all inlet vents not used by the fan. Use the included flue tape to seal any unwanted inlet openings. The fan will provide the oxygen needed to properly control the fire.
Start with the exhaust vent ⅛ of the way open. This can be adjusted later if necessary.
Installing Billows on Your Smoker
1. Begin by pinching Billows’ spring arms and inserting them through the vent hole. Be sure to place the fan intake and USB-C port facing down. This prevents liquid from getting into the fan and electronics (which would cause damage).
2. Remove the yellow silicone fan plug before use.
3. Plug one end of the USB-C cable into Billows and the other end into the fan port on the fan adapter.
4. Remove the AC power cable from Signals and plug it into the power port on the fan adapter.
Important: AC power is required to run Billows.
5. Plug the fan adapter into Signals.
Important: Avoid the side of your smoker when running the USB-C cables. The heat can melt them.
6. Plug your Pro-Series® High Temp Air Probe into Signals’ Channel 4 port.
Important: Billows will not operate without a probe plugged into Channel 4. Signals uses the temperature reading from Channel 4 to control Billows.
7. Place the air probe in your smoker. For best results, install the control air probe in the grate clip and attach them approximately 1” away from your food, while keeping it near the center of the cooker.
8. Power Signals on; it will automatically change Channel 4 to fan mode. Billows is preset to establish and maintain a 225°F cooking temperature in your smoker/cooker and will start blowing immediately. You may adjust the Set Temperature at will.
Adjusting Set Temperature
On Signals’ Hardware
1. To adjust your set temperature on Signals, press the CH button until Channel 4 flashes.
2. Press SET twice. SET TEMP should begin to flash.
3. Adjust the set temp with the Up and Down arrows. When the desired temperature is selected, press SET again to save your temperature.
4. Signals automatically sets High and Low alarms to ±25°F of the Set Temp. They cannot be adjusted in fan mode.
In ThermoWorks BBQ App
You can also adjust your set temperature from within the ThermoWorks BBQ app. Like Signals, the app will automatically adjust Channel 4 to fan mode and have a set temp field that you can adjust.
1. From the Home Page, click on Channel 4 Probe.
2. Click on the Fan icon.
3. Enter the Set Temperature in the dialogue and choose Set.
4. The High and Low alarms will automatically be set to ±25°F of the Set Temp. They cannot be adjusted in fan mode.
Tips for Controlling Your Fire
For best results, stack your fuel in a mound with a plateau at the top where the lit fuel will be added.
1. Fully light ½ -¾ of a chimney worth of fuel and place at the top of your unlit mound. Start with less fully lit fuel, as this will allow Billows to get the fire to temperature instead of beginning with a fire that is too big.
2. Let Billows run for 15-30 minutes to preheat your smoker/cooker and to stabilize your fire. Depending on your smoker/cooker, you may need to adjust your exhaust vent open or closed. Once you find the optimized opening of your vent, you shouldn’t need to make any more adjustments.
3. If you have a large smoker and you find one Billows fan is not enough to hold temperatures steady, a Billows Expansion Kit can be purchased which will allow you to add another Billows fan to your set up.
In fan mode, Signals automatically sets High and Low alarms at ±25°F of the Set Temp. These are calculated on the hardware and are also preset in the app. They cannot be adjusted in fan mode. For example, if your Set Temp is 225°F, your Low alarm will automatically be set to 200°F, and your High alarm will automatically be set to 250°F.
If the Low alarm sounds, check to see if you need to optimize your exhaust vent or if the smoker/cooker is running out of fuel.
If the High alarm is triggered, adjust the exhaust vent to a more closed position or ensure all other inlet vents are closed.
Turn Alarms Off or On (Signals’ Hardware)
1. Press the CH button until Channel 4 flashes then press SET. Alarm On should begin to flash.
2. Use the Up and Down arrows to adjust the alarm on or off.
3. Once you have selected on or off, press SET to save your selection
Turn Alarms Off or On (ThermoWorks BBQ App)
In the ThermoWorks BBQ app, you can turn on or off your alarms by selecting Set Temp in Channel 4.