What are the differences between the Classic Thermapen and the Thermapen Mk4?
(See a Classic Thermapen and Thermapen Mk4 comparison chart here.)
Customers ask us every day what the differences are between the Classic Thermapen and the Thermapen Mk4. They want to know which model is best for them, because deciding which Thermapen to purchase is a big decision.
If you are trying to make the best decision, here’s what you need to know:
How They Are the Same
- 2-3 second readings
- High accuracy to ±0.7°F (±0.4°C)
- Foldaway thermocouple probe
- Display temps in °C or °F
How They Are Different
1. As long as its probe is open, the Thermapen Mk4 automatically wakes up whenever you pick it up. It’s always ready to go. This is helpful when a cook is moving fast and temperatures are rising quickly. On the other hand, if your Classic Thermapen’s automatic shut-off feature deploys while you are cooking, you must close and re-open the probe in order to use it again. (However, you can change the Classic Thermapen’s settings so that it remains on until the probe is closed.)
2. The Mk4’s display automatically rotates, so it doesn’t matter how much you move the probe around and it doesn’t matter which hand you hold it with; the numbers will always be in the correct position to read. The Classic Thermapen’s display does not rotate.
3. The Mk4 has a backlight; the Classic doesn’t.
4. The Mk4 uses a single AAA battery. They are easy to find and last twice as long as the CR2032 coin cell batteries the Classic uses.
5. The Mk4 is waterproof. The Classic is splash-proof.
Here is a video that spotlights the upgraded features of the Thermapen Mk4.
Need additional help?
Our Customer Care team is ready to answer your questions!
Phone: Toll Free: 800-393-6434 6am – 8pm M-F, 9am – 4pm Saturday, MT
LiveChat: 8am – 5pm M-F